The coir industry act, 1953 provide for the establishment of coir board to manage the coir industry and to promote the welfare of coir industry.
“Coir” or “coir fibre” means the fibre extracted from the husk of the coconut; and “coir products” means mats and mattings, rugs and carpets, ropes and other articles manufactured wholly or partly from coir or coir yarn; further, “coir yarn” means yarn obtained by the spinning of coir.
Constitution of Coir Board
The central government has a power to establish a Coir board. The Board shall consist of a Chairman and members not exceeding forty.
The members of the board shall be appointed among the followings-
- growers of coconuts and producers of husks and coir yarn;
- persons engaged in the production of husks, coir and yarn and in the manufacture of coir products;
- manufacturers of coir products;
- dealers in coir, coir yarn and coir products, including both exporters and internal traders;
- the Governments of the principal coconut growing States;
- such other persons or class of persons who, in the opinion of the Central Government, ought to be represented on the Board.
Functions of the Board
It shall be the duty of the board to promote the development of coir industry and may take followings measures in doing so-
- promoting exports of coir yarn and coir products, and carrying on propaganda for that purpose;
- regulating under the supervision of the Central Government the production of husks, coir yarn and coir products by registering coir spindles and looms for manufacturing coir products as also manufacturers of coir products, licensing exporters of coir, coir yarn and coir products and taking such other appropriate steps as may be prescribed;
- undertaking, assisting or encouraging scientific technological and economic research and maintaining and assisting in the maintenance of one or more research institutes;
- collecting statistics from manufacturers of, and dealers in, coir products and from such other persons as may be prescribed, on any matter relating to the coir industry; the publication of statistics so collected or portions thereof or extracts therefrom;
- fixing grade standards and arranging when necessary for inspection of coir fibre, coir yarn and coir products;
- improving the marketing of coconut husk, coir fibre, coir yarn and coir products in India and elsewhere and preventing unfair competition;
- setting up or assisting in the setting up of factories for the production of coir products with the aid of power;
- promoting co-operative organisation among producers of husk, coir fibre and coir yarn and manufacturers of coir products;
- ensuring remunerative returns to producers of husks, coir fibre and coir yarn and manufacturers of coir products;
- licensing of retting places and warehouses and otherwise regulating the stocking and sale of coir fibre, coir yarn and coir products both for the internal market and for exports;
- advising on all matters relating to the development of the coir industry;
- such other matters as may be prescribed.
License of board to export
No coir fibre, coir yarn or coir products shall be exported otherwise than under a licence issued by or on behalf of the Board.
Control by the central government
All acts and proceedings of the Board shall be subject to the control of the Central Government which may cancel, suspend or modify as it thinks fit any action taken by the Board.
The Board shall carry out such directions as may be issued to it by the Central Government for the efficient administration of this Act.
The records of the Board shall be open to inspection at all reasonable times by any officer authorised in this behalf by the Central Government.
The Coir Industry Act, 1953